Windows XP Professional has a feature that will allow you to create your own virtual private network connection by remotely connecting two Windows XP Pro computers, and you can do this without installing any software.
To use the remote desktop feature, follow these steps:
- HOST: On the host computer, right click My Computer>> Remote>> Check the checkbox “Allow users to connect remotely to this computer”
- CLIENT: If you use Windows XP, the client software is already pre-installed. Go to Start Menu>> All Applications>> Accessories>> Communications >> Remote Desktop Connection.
- CLIENT: If you use a pre-Windows XP system, you have to run msrdpcli.exe from the \support\tools folder of the Windows XP Professional installation CD.
- CLIENT: When the Remote Desktop Connection box appears, enter the IP address of the HOST and click “Connect”.
Create a System Restore pointClick Start>> All Programs>> Accessories>> System Tools>> System Restore. –
OR-You can also launch System Restore window by typing the command below, in the RUN box: %SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe
- Click Create a restore point, and then click Next.
- In the Restore point description box, type a name to identify this restore point. System Restore will automatically add the date and time that this Restore Point was created.
- To finish creating this restore point, click Create.